How to Start a Business in Hong Kong

Want to register a company in Hong Kong or starting a business in HK? Apart from deciding on your Hong Kong Business name, you should decide on the type of company entity / business structure.

Register Hong Kong Limited Company
The most common type of Hong Kong company setup used by Small and Medium sized enterprises (SMEs) is HK Limited company

Limited Company can also enjoy benefits such as the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA), a free trade agreement with Mainland China.

Register Hong Kong Branch Office
A branch office is not a separate legal entity from the parent company
They must register with the Companies Registry as a ‘Registered Non-Hong Kong Company’ within 1 month of establishment

Register Hong Kong Subsidiary Office
The main difference between the branch vs subsdiary are:-

Branch is not an independent and separate legal entity; and its parent company will be liable for the debts and obligations of the HK branch.

Subsidiary is a fully separate and legal structure incorporated and will be it will be liable of its own debts and obligations of the HK subsidiary.

Register Hong Kong Representative Office
HK Rep office cannot engage in profit-making activities, therefore is usually used for purpose of exploring Hong Kong market.

Start a Business as HK Sole Proprietorship
With just a single owner, this means you are self-employed and personal income tax will apply.

Start Hong Kong Partnership
If you have 2 or more persons as shareholder, then you can setup partnership business.

Note : A self-employed person may be a sole proprietor or a partner of a partnership business.

Apart from choosing your Hong Kong company secretary or accounting firm to incorporate your business, of which you can also use their address as your business registered address, many business owners and startups are using Co-working space as the registered Office.

Note : Company shareholders does not need to be Hong Kong residents.

One of the most important criteria is to comply HK regulation for Significant Controllers Register (HK incorporated companies need to obtain and maintain up-to-date beneficial ownership information by way of keeping a Significant Controllers Register)

Other items that you will consider when you start a business in Hong Kong is :-
a. Do you need to register a trademark in Hong Kong?
b. What website and domain name you should use for your Hong Kong Business?
c. Are you interested in any Hong Kong government funding for your Business?

Message us today at

  1. do you know you can get up to HK$52,000 subsidy for your online shop in Hong Kong and for your HK online marketing if you are Hong Kong permant resident?
  2. If you are just an individual and have NOT set a company or just intending to start a part-time business to sell online, you can get up to HK$20,000 to learn how to start this internet business.
  3. Hong Kong companies already operational can utilise various HK funding including DBiz, TVP, BUD fund

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *